Friday, February 5, 2010

One Small Step

When I look at the sprawling backyard in our new home, I choose to see the future. The future grass is green and without weeds. The future fruit trees provide shade and abundance. And the future flower beds are lush and colorful. In reality, the yard needs some love. I'm not sure the last owners did a thing besides water, and, as a result, there are about a million weeds that need eradicating. In order to create a good environment for our future garden, we'll be doing this by hand, without chemicals. It's hard work but I don't mind at all, because all I see is the future.

This is the very first cleared section of flower beds! After pulling out all of the weeds and roots, I worked compost into the soil. Until I'm ready to plant, I'll protect the surface from new seedlings with a water permeable barrier and mulch. The little stick in coming out of the mulch is our fig tree, a cutting from the Morris fig tree in San Clemente. Thank you to the city of Oceanside for providing unlimited free compost and mulch to residents!

I didn't take a "before" picture of the exact spot we cleared, but the entire perimeter of the yard looks similar to this. Not for long!


No comments:

Post a Comment